Even if it is now June, the day is perfect to spend a day outdoors, surrounded by nature and the tranquility of the forest to regain possession of my spaces, a necessary requirement after leaving the lockdown period behind. I prepare a light backpack leaving a space for mine Konus Range 2, the binoculars and laser rangefinder proposed on the market by the Verona-based company. For some time I had the curiosity to compare myself with a product that would give me, with precision and ease, the possibility of verifying the actual distance of the animals. The hunter's eye is trained enough to "evaluate" distances, but of course, without the right tool, they are always rough estimates that, in hunting action, can make a big difference.
Walking along the path, as I enter the woods I feel a pleasant sensation of freedom, of lightness, savoring every moment and smelling the fresh and humid air of the bush. After a short time, curiosity takes over and I decide to take the rangefinder out of my backpack, ready to challenge myself in testing my ability to judge distances.
I immediately liked the fact of having, in a single device, two functions that usually require multiple tools, a 10 × 42 binoculars and a laser rangefinder. This means less weight, less bulk and a manageability and speed of evaluation in measuring the distance to the target.
The weight is very low, about 850 g, and can be easily carried over the shoulder or attached to the belt with the case.
The binoculars are fitted with treated lenses fully multicoated of which we appreciate the excellent brightness, sharpness and definition of the image that remains almost stable in the use of the 10 magnifications available. The adjustments are made through two focus rings, positioned on the two tubes, which allow a better adaptation of the instrument to the eye.
But it is when I turn on the rangefinder that I benefit from the technology hidden inside which, despite its power, is extremely simple and operated by only two buttons. The 8 available options make the Konus Range 2 so versatile that it can be used in different contexts, not just hunters:
- LINEAR DISTANCE mode - to measure the linear distance of a target from 5 to 1200 meters;
- MIRA mode - distance calculation function;
- SPEED mode - to know the speed at which a target is moving. The unit of measurement can be expressed in kilometers per hour or in miles per hour;
- ANGLE mode - measurement of reference height, taking into account the angle from which it is observed;
- HEIGHT MEASUREMENT mode - to measure the height of the object you are aiming for;
- SCAN mode - to measure the variation of the distance in succession allowing up to a maximum of 20 measurements;
- FOG mode - allows you to measure the distance by neutralizing the fog that reflects the beam and can give distorted results;
- FLAG POLE LOCK mode - function for passionate golfers, which allows you to measure the distance at which the flag pole is located, excluding all other objectives displayed.
Many functions enclosed in a single professional tool, solid and compact, but extremely versatile in use which, another not negligible factor, it is offered at a cost of € 499,00, positioning itself among the best products in terms of quality / price ratio.
At the end of the day, returning home, the result of my personal challenge with myself was rather predictable, satisfying in the medium-short distances but not precise in the long ones ... I really think that from today I will hardly do without the KonusRange2 laser rangefinder binoculars!