wilderness. Hunting, fauna and territory. 1. In Canada, a great victory for conservationists and native peoples: the area of mountains and forests of British Columbia, in the extreme southwest of Canada, where a rare subspecies of black bear (kermode bear or "spirit bear") lives , cream in color) was finally restricted: 3 million hectares on which only part of the forest can be cut.
“This agreement represents a fundamental step forward because it demonstrates how respect for the rights of indigenous peoples, the safeguarding of wildlife, environmental protection and economic interests can coexist in the best way, ”wrote Greenpeace Canada.
2. The AIW sent a complaint to the Public Prosecutor of L'Aquila, as well as to a series of competent authorities, to report the construction of a mountain road in the Municipality of Balsorano. The road, discovered by pure chance by the President Emeritus Germano Tomei, affects one of the wildest areas of Val Roveto, on the side of the Ernici Mountains.
Its gravity is also denoted by the fact that to achieve it an area of extreme slope was crossed in an area of unstable scree of dejection cones of two steep rocky valleys. The apparent purpose seems to be to "bring the cars" to an ancient small church. The area falls within an area of potential expansion of the Ernici Mountains Wilderness Area.
3. The truth that ends up coming out! Words of Luigi Boitani pronounced at the Cuneo Conference on the Wolf: "Informally in Brussels they asked me why in Italy there is no Plan that provides for the containment of the Wolf, given that in all European countries with this presence, these Plans are drawn up ".
So it is true that the wolves are starting to be too many and that it is the case that Italy too provides: or should we wait for the usual Europe to oblige us? Yet the wolf's acquaintances (but not experts!) Have been asking for it for years! But unfortunately we live in a country where experts are only if they have attended a university classroom!
4. The General Secretariat has sent a registered letter to the Minister of the Environment and for information to the Presidency and Management of the Maddalena Archipelago Park regarding the problem of the famous Island of Budelli, which had recently been bought at auction by a banker. New Zealander for 3 million euros, who wanted to make it a kind of "center for biodiversity", a center that the Park has understood to be only a Trojan horse for the usual "enhancement".
Fortunately, the Park has opposed it and now a new auction will have to be held. The AIW has proposed to have it purchased by the Park or the Ministry and then to make it a Wilderness Area.
5. Following the document released last December relating to the complaint about Federcaccia's lack of interest in helping to support the AIW through forms of contributions, the Secretary General, also to give an answer to those organizations that at the time came to offer solidarity and promises of aid, has written and distributed a new document sent on paper to the major organizations and companies in the hunting world (it will also be distributed by e-mail). You will see how many hunters really want to become conservationists!
6. The Regional Councilor who shared the bill for the Wilderness Areas of Lazio has assumed the office of Councilor for the Environment. There are therefore hopes to restart the process!
(February 26, 2016)
AIW - Italian Wilderness Association